The Sailor/Complete Sailor/Steersman Service Book has a support function on board where it reports directly to the First Mate, Skipper or Captain. Sailor/Full Sailor/Steatsman Service book must be able to replace a helmsman with regard to cargo handling and maintenance if required. The Sailor / Volmatroos / Stuurman Service Notebook receives its orders from the second mate, skipper or captain.
• Inform the second mate, skipper or captain in the event of problems and/or deviations that could jeopardize safety.
• Informs Second, Skipper or Captain of problems and/or deviations that affect progress.
• Independently perform maintenance, safety and environmental work.
• Report the work performed according to maintenance lists to the Stuurman, Skipper or Captain in writing. Possibly orally to the mate, skipper or captain.
• Checking the loading and unloading system.
Quality, safety, health and environment
• Is responsible for compliance with the procedures and standards laid down in the quality system and care for the environment.
• You are obliged to correctly use and manage all personal protective equipment made available to you by the company and to immediately inform the pilot, skipper or captain of any defect.
• Knows the calamity procedure and the calamity plan on board the ship in service.
• Is aware of the types of calamities.
• Recognition of alarm types.
• You are familiar with the operation of the emergency stop.
• You are familiar with emergency steering and lowering emergency steering.
• Stimulates the quality and environmental awareness of Lichtmatroze.
• Gives clear advice and instructions to Light Sailors for the use and maintenance of equipment.
• Report problems on your work site in writing to Stuurman, Skipper or Captain.
• Initiates possible measures in case of problems within his field of work.
• Holds the title Sailor.
• BBL patterning.
• In possession of a valid maintenance book.
• Good command of the spoken and written Dutch language.
• Good command of spoken and written nautical English.
• Good command of the nautical German language in word and writing.
What does VT offer?
• A good salary in accordance with our company’s collective labor agreement with Dutch wages and employment conditions.
• Sail in a beautiful fleet with modern ships.
• Working with Dutch crew.
• Navigation in week on/week off shifts, with the possibility to choose the number of working weeks per year.
• A complete clothing package, including all mandatory PPE.
• A well-arranged pension.
• Growth opportunities through an active study policy, career planning and personal guidance.