VT is a recognized training company and a suitable place to apply your BBL training in practice. For your BBL training, VT also offers its own in-house Captain’s Academy, with the aim of training ambitious students to become a skipper or even captain at VT. It is a tailor-made training program in collaboration with the Shipping and Transport College and the NOVA college, for optimal and professional guidance. On board the ship you will also be assisted by the experienced crew of VT. The Apprentice Sailor has a supporting function for the Captain, Skipper, Mate or Sailor. The Apprentice Sailor receives his orders from the Captain, Skipper, Mate or Sailor.
• Immediately informs the captain in the event of problems and/or deviations that could jeopardize safety.
• In consultation with the captain, independently carries out work for maintenance, safety and the environment which he can carry out himself.
Quality, safety, health and environment
• Is responsible for compliance with the established procedures and regulations as laid down in the quality and environmental care system.
• Is obliged to use and manage all personal protective equipment made available by the company correctly and to report any deficiencies immediately to the practical supervisor.
• Is aware of the calamity procedure and the calamity plan on board the ship on duty.
• Is aware of types of calamities.
• Recognizing types of alarms.
• Is familiar with the operation of emergency stop.
• Is familiar with the emergency steering gear and emergency steering gear lowering.
• Training BBL Sailor or BBL Skipper.
• In possession of a valid service booklet.
• Command of the Dutch language in word and writing.
• Mastery of nautical English.
What VT offers:
• A good salary in accordance with our company collective agreement with Dutch wages and employment conditions.
• Sail on a beautiful fleet with modern ships.
• Working with Dutch crew.
• Sailing in a week on/week off shift system, with the choice of number of working weeks per year
• A complete clothing package, including all mandatory PPE.
• A well-arranged pension.
• Growth opportunities through an active study policy, career planning and personal guidance.